Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Learning really is a lifelong experience: Computer scams

It was a matter of days ago that I received an emergency SOS email from my friend overseas and I became alarmed for his welfare.   He is known to travel, and not careless, but things happen when traveling.  So everything seemed to be legitimate, and on the up and up.  


The e-mail read: "Am so sorry to bother you, I am in Limassol, Cyprus for a week and  I  just misplaced my bag containing all my vital items, phone and money.I am stranded at the moment and may need a little help from you. Thanks "

I replied, "Hi, My number is: 212-539-3710;  Feel free to call or  email."  He responded:

"Thanks, I've been to the embassy and was issued a temporary passport. I just need to borrow about €950, I will pay you back as soon as I get back home. Western Union transfer is the fastest option to wire funds to me. All you have to do is to locate the nearest WU shop to you and they will have the money sent in minutes. See details needed for transfer below.

"Name on my ID: [my friend's name] Limassol, South Cyprus
   
"You will need to email me the Reference number, senders name and address as it's stated on
      the payment slip as soon as you make transfer so I can receive money here."


Not noticing anything fishy, and being concerned for my friend, I scrambled around for some cash. I sent him 700.00 US -- a bit less than he wanted -- but planned on getting the balance off to him later in the week. It was the tone in which he responded to the partial payment that threw me into suspicion. it was trite and ungracious, and out of character for my friend.  My gut told me to try to call him, and he answered his phone here in New York City.  

That is when I learned that his computer was hacked into and thousands of similar emails were sent to others from his contact list.  We talked, filed a complaint with Western Union and above all - realized that there are people who prey on the caring of friends,  realized how there are people who prey on the caring of friends. My friend did all he could to warn his contacts of his of the scam, and I hold him in no way accountable to my generosity and good nature.

My friend and I have since met to reflect on the experience.  He helped me safeguard my own computer , using the lessons he had learned.  While there are a multitude of safety protocols in place at Google, etc. if you receive a SOS call try to validate it first, and be careful.  Remain alert, change passwords frequently -- the more complex the better.

In the end, I'm a little wiser about responding to Internet pleas, knowing that I am not immune to scams.  I do however remain unapologetially concerned about my fiends - especially if they're in need.  A lesson learned through life experience - shared with you so perhaps you can avoid a similar fate.

As always, I hope you fund this helpful and informative.   Feel free to call for a consultation.  

Dr Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment