Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

All Work and No Play

As I was building my career it required a lot of focus, graduate school, full time work, and a part time private practice.  Maintaining this cost a lot.  It cost a lot emotionally, because I found myself tired frequently, but maintained my work and school requirements. It cost me some friendships that I would make plans with but later find I was to busy to have dinner with and cancel or worse yet, forget to cancel.  Of course I felt bad about the social ramifications, but realized that I needed to remain focused on my goal if I was going to succeed, and hope my friends would understand.  Some did, some didn't.   

Once I finished Graduate school however, it allowed for a lot more free time to reconnect with friends and to do things that I have been putting off doing like skiing, scuba diving and other social events with friends.  Feeling free enough to play a little on my vacations was a revitalizing experience for me and it can be for you too.  

It is easy to be seduced by the busy working schedule, but finding time on those business trips to extend them a few days if possible is a great way to recharge your batteries.  Of course these extensions are usually on your own dime, but it will be money well spent for the peace of mind you get in return. The important thing here is trying to find time for yourself.  Going from project to project may look good from the outside, but at what cost is it to you on the inside.  

So plan for little breaks in your schedule to either spend time alone, or with your family before coming right back into the office, especially if you have been away for a week or more.  It will help you feel stronger, and more focused as well as coser to your family when you do get back to the office.   

As always I hope you found this helpful and informative.

All the Best,
Dr Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment